Does Drinking Alcohol Cause Hiccups?

You’ve heard of all the home remedies, and perhaps even tried a few: you can hold your breath, have them scared out of you, eat a tablespoon of sugar or, if you’re desperate and agile, drink a glass of water upside down.

No matter what particular cure works for you, what causes hiccups is usually the same for all of us. Some causes, however, are more common than others. Most of us get hiccups as a result of expansion of the stomach or the movement of stomach acid. If not that, it may be an irritation of the phrenic nerve, which controls the diaphragm.

The question is whether alcohol can cause this expansion, acid movement or phrenic nerve irritation – and the answer is yes to all three.

Drinking alcohol can cause the stomach to expand, especially if it is a carbonated alcoholic beverage like beer, champagne and many mixed drinks. These drinks can also cause stomach acid to rise up into the esophagus to cause hiccups, and cause irritation of the nerve that controls the diaphragm.

It’s true that other food and drink can also cause these issues and the hiccups that follow. There’s evidence that spicy foods, tobacco use or even overexcitement can cause hiccups. While alcohol may not be the only cause, it is definitely one cause of the hiccups.

Drinking Alcohol Causing Hiccups

Of course, I should remind everyone that our blog entries are for your information only and are not intended as medical advice. Because everyone is different, you should work with your medical professional to determine what’s best for you. If you’re going to drink, do it legally and responsibly; don’t be stupid =).

1. Reply Lizard May 8, 2017 6:13 am

Johnnie Dec 21, 2015 6:41 pm
    “Lie flat on your back hold your breath and let someone blow into your mouth until your lungs are full and hold it in a few seconds.
    Works every time …..”
    Why in Gods name would you risk damage to yourself by having someone blow into your lungs when you can just do the same thing with my technique without fear of injury? All these cures that tell you to drink something or eat sugar. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t carry sugar around with me nor do I carry special drinkable around. Just gradually fill your lungs to capacity and hold your breath for as long as you can and then slowly let the air out. It’s simple and effective. No need to carry, drink or purchase anything. Free hiccup cure. Gave a great day

2. Reply Randy Nov 21, 2016 1:28 am

Lizards cure is the only one that worked for me out of all these different cures.

3. Reply Randy Nov 21, 2016 1:23 am

Lizard cure works 100% of the time. No having to drink anything or lay down or needing the assistance of another person. Why does someone add a cure to this page that involves anything more than a precise breathing technique?

4. Reply drdon Sep 15, 2016 6:03 pm

For Me It’s Simple… It’s My Wife’s Cooking… Everything She Cooks Is So-Incredibly-Good I Can’t Help But Shovel It In Until Hiccups Call Me To Stop…

5. Reply цена lada x-ray Jun 5, 2016 4:14 am

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more
    than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all.
    Nevertheless imagine if you added some great visuals or
    video clips to give your posts more, “pop”!

Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this site could definitely be one of the best in its field.
    Awesome blog!

6. Reply Jbonnee Dec 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Works every time …..

7. Reply blessedleft1 Dec 15, 2015 1:49 am

try turkey it really works

8. Reply Alys Nov 29, 2015 12:48 am

A spoonful of sugar always works for me. It’s really not just an old wives’ tale. The sweetness temporarily overwhelms the nerve that controls the diaphragm, and it’ll stop twitching. It literally makes me stop hiccuping every time. Sometimes holding my breath works (I wait until I feel a little “popping” sensation, kind of like a mini-burp), but it’s not as consistent as the sugar. Drinking water rarely helps. Getting scared is useless, cause I don’t really get scared, but it could potentially work for people who do get scared for the same reasons that the sugar works.

9. Reply ndriki Oct 2, 2015 3:41 pm

Wow….. are disturbed by hiccup?
    Jst seized ur breath for 5-7
    Second,I did it and it works for me
    Though urs may b diFferent still persist consult ur med professioal

10. Reply ndriki Oct 2, 2015 3:22 pm

I have hiccup for almost whole day,plz need ur help

11. Reply Dave Jul 5, 2015 1:20 am

Also as a side note, if you don’t fix it now it will begin to “lock” up your breathing and you will all of a sudden not be able to breath….very scary…

Thorozine is one med that is prescribed to help relax the diaphram and correct this problem, might talk to your Dr….

12. Reply Dave Jul 5, 2015 1:15 am

The best cure, (and I know this sounds unconventional)…

If you are really having this problem.

I know people who have perpetual hiccups that won’t go away for days and weeks at a time…it can be extremely painful and begins to wear on an a person mentally.

We’ve all been brushing our tongue’s with our tooth brush and gotten the “gag” reflex…

Give yourself a slight little “gag”…it stimulates and relaxes the diaphram and releases gas out of your stomach that is crowding the diaphram and the stomach. Just trying to regular “burp” it out will not work.

These perpetual hiccups mostly occur in alcoholics, so my best advise is to stop drinking for a few weeks or for that matter stop altogether….it also means your liver is swollen pushing the stomach into the diaphram and making it go into spasm….hence the hiccup…

Hope that helps…

13. Reply Roxanne Gordon Oct 29, 2014 11:46 am

Climb the wall. Face a wall. Stretch your arms up up up trying to climb up the wall. Doing this will stretch the diaphragm putting it back to normal. I can see how drinking lemon juice would help since I would puker up….my diaphragm would scream!!

14. Reply jena Sep 17, 2014 5:05 pm

I have hittcups and burbs since monday how can i get them to go away.

15. Reply Kathy Jun 19, 2014 2:31 am

Take a drink of lemon juice. I keep a bottle in the fridge and it works every time!

16. Reply Shaka Jan 12, 2014 6:36 am

I’ve tried a Pranayam (Yoga) called Ujjai Kriya i.e. Step 1. Take deep breath through nostrils such that the air touches the throat making a ‘shuuuuuooon’ sound; Step 2. Hold it for 5-7 seconds; Step 3. Excel in the same manner such that that the exhaling air touches the throat making a ‘shuuuuuooon’ sound Step 4. Hold your breath for another 5-7 seconds.
    Repeat this cycle for 15-20 times. Concentrate on your breath and control your diaphragm during the process. I had continuous hiccup for the last 20 hours and it has gone! Try it.