Why Does Alcohol Make You Sleepy?

Alcohol makes you sleepy because you’re old, old-timer! Put down the pint and hit the sack before you bust your hip!

Just kidding. Alcohol can make people of any age sleepy, because it’s a muscle relaxant and a sedative. But, what does that mean, exactly?

The truth is that alcohol and its effects on the human body are much more dynamic than that. Alcohol is commonly labeled as a depressant (as opposed to a stimulant), but this is wholly dependent on the amount consumed and the arc of consumption. In other words, it is only when blood-alcohol content (BAC) is descending that alcohol triggers fatigue and relaxation – the sedative side of booze.

When BAC is on the rise, though, it causes excitement and a lowering of inhibitions … which generally leads to more excitement.

It can also be argued that it depends on what kind of alcohol you drink. Some scientists contend that the melatonin found in the skins of red grapes can have a sleepy-time effect on people beyond the typical depressive effects of alcohol; however, it could just as easily be argued that a person is on the same BAC seesaw described above when they drink wine as they are when they drink anything else alcoholic.

So, at the end of the day, alcohol refuses to be pigeonholed. In more ways than one it is what you make of it, which is always good to (try to) remember when your BAC is on the rise.

Why Does Alcohol Makes You Sleepy

Legal Stuff: We should remind everyone that our blog entries are for your information only and are not intended as medical advice. If you’re going to drink, do it legally and responsibly; don’t be stupid =).

1. Reply Lm Apr 18, 2017 1:05 am

Drinkig is normal right?

2. Reply Carol Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Didn’t drink for 35yrs ever tho worked in beer industry the time
    Then.. He passed away! We grew up together since age of 18 so been very difficult not having him by my side especially knowing meds he took caused him problems which ends in his demise.} So now I drink on & off, counseling done a thing when they only schedule you every 3 to 6 months! So lonely without him. Don’t start drinking because of a problem… Wrong wrong, I know first hand!

3. Reply JP Jan 15, 2017 6:58 pm

These comments are something else! Lol

4. Reply D. Jan 6, 2017 9:48 am

My husband drinks then goes to sleep then drinks again when wakes up. That is his whole day. There are a lot of speeches about the world and its affairs while we don’t have enough to even rent a room.

5. Reply Anna Nov 21, 2016 10:32 am

James, lately, whatever I drink, I become sleepy. Used to be able to drink 3-4, now its only after one! Yeek. Can’t be allergy cause I drink different things. Still don’t know why.

6. Reply Joey Fontalillo Oct 14, 2016 2:00 am

Thanks for the info. I’m only 23 but sometimes I get really tired at the club when I’m drinking with friends after a few shots too many. Not only does it effect my body but my wallet too, haha 😉

7. Reply Basil Ozuluonye Sep 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Nice article James. Alcohol helps the body relax, but it’s easily abused especially when I see grown men act all weird at hangouts. Just have fun within your limits and be great, thanks.