Don’t wanna wait ‘til the sun’s sinking. We could be feeling all right. I know you know what I’m thinking. Why don’t we do a little day drinking?
If the lyrics to this popular song by Little Big Town describe a typical day off or holiday weekend in your life, then you need the lowdown on day drinking. While taking some time to relax and de-stress every once in a while is fine, there are dangers to drinking all day and into the night.
According to www.alcoholrehab.com, there are many dangers associated with drinking alcohol in the early morning. These include:
- Drinking in the morning often leads to drinking all day
- Drinking in the morning can make an individual more prone to accidents
- Drinking before work decreases productivity
- Drinking before breakfast means less of a buffer for your liver
- Many who drink early in the day do so alone, and drinking is always safer in a social group
Also, if you start drinking early in the day, it may make it difficult to stick to one type of alcohol. Studies show that mixing different types of alcohol (wine, liquor, beer, etc.) make you get drunk faster. If you start early in the day, you may not have a taste for that morning Mimosa after lunch and want to switch to something else.
A good rule of thumb is to limit your drinking to four hours (not every day, of course). If you are going to day drink, cut yourself off after four hours of alcohol consumption. This will keep you from overdrinking (or even more serious issues like alcohol poisoning or hangovers). Within this time frame, be sure to limit the number of drinks you have. According to www.drinkaware.co.uk, men should have no more than 3-4 drinks and women 2-3 drinks in a day. Also, don’t forget to eat and drink plenty of water in between drinks!
As long as you’re practicing safe alcohol consumption, we totally endorse day drinking! Popular traditions for day drinking on a holiday weekend or before a midday football game include:
- Playing beer pong (or any drinking game)
- Hosting a party/social gathering
- Watching a popular show/event
- Host a movie marathon, pile in for the entire third season of your favorite Netflix show or watch the big game on TV
Stay safe during a day of drinking with the Life of the Party Kit from Drinkwel. Each kit includes two Drinkwel packets, 12 healthy cocktail recipes, one pack of electrolyte tablets, one pack of sugar-free mints and a list of smart drinking tips.
Legal Stuff: We should remind everyone that our blog entries are for your information only and are not intended as medical advice. If you’re going to drink, do it legally and responsibly; don’t be stupid =).