Sometimes a beer just isn’t enough. If you prefer the sophisticated taste of a good whiskey, you might be unaware that in addition to the taste you love, whiskey offers many amazing health benefits when consumed responsibly.
Whiskey is a distilled alcohol made from fermented grains, including barley, corn, rye and wheat, and it is aged in wooden, white oak casks for varying amounts of time. Here are a few unbelievable health benefits of drinking whiskey!
- Whiskey aids in weight loss. It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium and carbs. It also has high amounts of ellagic acid, which is a powerful antioxidant. While other alcohols like beer are high in calories and associated with weight gain, whiskey is a great drink if you are watching your waistline.
- Some studies have shown that whiskey boosts brain performance and reduces your chances of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It is the ellagic acid that fights free radicals and reduces mental decline.
- Whiskey can also aid in heart health, reducing your risk for stroke, heart attack and blood clotting. It acts as a blood thinner, which not only lowers your chances of clotting, but also increases the amount of good cholesterol in your body while lowering the bad.
- The antioxidant compound in whiskey neutralizes cells that cause cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease and premature aging. Many people believe that drinking it in moderation strengthens the immune system and helps fight off colds, illnesses and infections.
- Whiskey reduces the chance of diabetes by up to 40% by helping regulate insulin and glucose levels.
Of course, you should always drink responsibly and legally. Overdoing it never leads to health benefits!
Legal Stuff: We should remind everyone that our blog entries are for your information only and are not intended as medical advice. If you’re going to drink, do it legally and responsibly; don’t be stupid =).